The Last Same New Year's Meme?
2016-12-31, 11:04 p.m.
Should I really keep doing this meme when nothing much changes? Or should I do it because god only knows what will have happened between the “same old, more or less” of 2016 and the trumpocalype of 2017?
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
This year’s resolutions are (a) job hunt more and (b) look into dealing with creepy privacy issues and taking measures that I should be doing but don’t want to. I bought a very depressing book on this that I didn’t want but should be doing, just by virtue of being female, plus well, other developments this year. (Also: anyone with a LiveJournal account probably needs to get rid of it right about now. Done.) Oh yeah, and (c) rehab my voice so it doesn’t make half the planet want to stab me dead every time I open my mouth.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
4. Did anyone close to you die?
5. What countries did you visit? None, as usual.
6. What would you like to have in 2017 that you lacked in 2016?
Last year I said, “More money and a less stressful job where I don't serve the public. Also, a goal and a plan.” The same applies again because nothing changes.
Well, the don’t serve the public part of the job has been fixed, thank gawd. But otherwise...same.
Oh yeah, and for the people of the world to be sane enough not to elect the worst candidate ever, but that’s long gone.
7. What dates from 2016 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
9. What was your biggest failure?
That no matter how much I tried to “turn over a new leaf” and be less of a horrible problem child at work, I continued to be a horrible problem child anyway. That most people straight up hate at this point. Hell, not even everything is my fault this year and ...yeah, not gonna get started.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
11. What was the best thing you bought?
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
14. Where did most of your money go?
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
16. What song will always remind you of 2016?
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
20. How did you spend Christmas?
21. Did you fall in love in 2016?
22. How many one-night stands? Yeah, RIGHT. Also, who actually answers this question?
23: What was your favorite TV program?
24. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
25. What was the best book you read?
4.5 star reviews: Worst. President. Ever. (Though uh...great year to pick that title. Too soon, too soon.), Steadfast, The Long Game, Borderline, The Royal We, Cruel Beauty, American Lion, Hamilton: The Revolution.
New authors discovered this year that stood out: Chelsea Cain for the “Mockingbird” comics, gone too soon (I couldn’t even get a copy of the last one, wah), Mishell Baker, Rosamond Hodge.
26. What was your greatest musical discovery?
27. What did you want and get?
28. What did you want and not get?
Last year I wrote: “A goal, a plan, and a quieter, more lucrative job. Also, Hamilton tickets and a real vacation far away from here. I wanted to go see the Rose Parade floats live and in person this year (this is something that I could have done since for once I didn't have to work on January 2), but no dice. “ Same applies this year as well, though I’d add The Princess Diarist and a stuffed corgi to the list. Pat has an adorable princess-dressed royal corgi toy here I love, I asked for a corgi stuffie for Christmas and didn’t get it, so I finally managed to find it online and order it from England my own self. And I managed to get ahold of The Princess Diarist before it was totally gone from Costco. If you don’t do it yourself, people....
But hey, I did get to see a bootleg of Hamilton online! So there’s that!
29. What was your favorite film of this year?
30. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you? I turned 38 and went to the Scottish Games.
31. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
A more peaceful and lucrative job. This answer never changes.
32. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2016?
33. What kept you sane?
34. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
35. What political issue stirred you the most?
36. Who did you miss?
37. Who was the best new person you met?
38. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2016:
39. Quote a song lyric that sums up your