2020-04-23, 3:07 p.m.
recently on Chaos Attraction
Zoom meetings today
* 18-minute work online birthday party event, where they ran out of things to do ah, very quickly. Though I was amused that Adriana sent out "Happy Birthday Name!" videos to all. I did my Office Sharing Day presentation of crafts (see craft blog, same thing) and that seemed to go over well. But that was about it. Adriana did find a sloth-themed birthday song video for someone and was sad that there are no Baby Yoda ones yet. I said "licensing issues" (this later led to yet another discussion of Why Jennifer Can't Sell Baby Yodas For A Living Because Disney Hunts Your Ass Down, which Lioness helpfully contributed to because we've had that one before) "but hey, maybe someone will figure something out to get around that."
* Half hour public service team meeting, in which it was announced that I'm the best hugger in the world and I am amazed that I didn't end up sobbing on that meeting (which I could not have muted myself on). That said, I did cry five times today otherwise.
* Another 2.5 hour "training meeting" with Tigress, which wasn't really since she had other stuff come in. I did a bit of practice on what I learned yesterday, attempted to get her Zoom working, but she had meeting fail. Oy, this drags on.
* Lunch pseudo-meditation class thing, 1 hour.
* Surprise 20 minute meeting with the boss because she said that Grandboss objected to the idea of international clientele not getting their documents and is there anything we can do about that? I pointed out that (a) mailing labels have to be processed THAT DAY, (b) you have to send the message to the shipping companies to pick up THAT DAY and you'd better do it in the morning, and (c) UPS is a bunch of flakeasses so who knows if they will even do that, sometimes they don't, and DHL will only do mornings anyway, and (d) our office is closed so how are they going to get in there? Logistically it means that the one coworker allowed to go into the office once a week is going to have to just stand around for hours at the front door of the building waiting for UPS in hopes they show up, which is impractical. And finally (e) I was ordering documents today and our document printing company had a big ol' notice about all the various countries where international mailing has already been shut down, so don't order anything to go there, they won't do it. So international mail may no longer be an option in general. Sigh. Though she did tell me that she's moving New Temp Sarah to my work group (except for phone shifts) so I am not 100% alone here, thank GAWD. Good job, boss.
I am grateful to not be dealing with work tomorrow. I've had enough.
Quotes from the office:
In other news, I saw a cockroach this morning in my bedroom. I did not name it or get anywhere near it and it seems to have disappeared since then, thank gawd. But even weirder, in the afternoon I heard a loud buzzing and thought, "what the hell is that? It sounds like a yellowjacket in here, but that can't be it, maybe it's some noise outside or something the neighbor is doing." NO, IT WAS A FUCKING YELLOWJACKET IN MY LIVING ROOM. WHAT THE FUCK. How the FUCK did a fucking YELLOWJACKET GET INTO MY APARTMENT when I haven't left it since the 12th? Maybe a moth flew in, but they're quiet and hide in the light fixtures. You notice the racket that is a yellowjacket. How the hell did this thing get in?!?! At least it left after I opened the screen door and stood there until it left (at least the neighbor wasn't out). Jeebus, wtf? Mysteries of quarantine.
Watched Arne and Carlos today and the knitalong is back on, with a new piece, which I think answers what I'm going to do for my birthday project party tomorrow. And speaking of:
I also got an invite to read plays aloud on May 7, so I signed up for that one.
Tonight I went to the "Dirty Thursday: Prince Tribute Party" on House of Yes. I love how they said you didn't have to log into Zoom or turn your camera on to watch the show if you didn't want to. So it was a DJ'd show of Prince tunes, obviously. I didn't necessarily find them all jamming enough that I felt like getting up to dance to ("Here I sit in my lonely room, waiting for my sunshine" seemed a little too relevant, lyrics-wise), but watching other folks dance around is fun. One had a light up hula hoop, so good job there. Some folks had lights and/or disco-ish backgrounds going on. I broke out my disco light spinny thing and portable disco ball, but didn't feel very jammy anyway. Then the video started showing the sexy dancing in no pants...or hot pants...or bra....I am not screenshotting that. Did appreciate the shirtless guy dressing like Prince though. One couple was...playing backgammon...to this.
I admit I did not feel very dance-y most of the time--more like occasionally, and at some points I was sort of dancing from the waist down while cross stitching, which should tell you something weird about me. Though I am thinking I am not a super expert on Prince music apparently and not all of it was as dance-y as I would have felt like, I guess. But watching the shows of people dancing, what outfits they had on, their pets, etc. was entertaining. Zoom Safari and all that.
On a fun note, Mom called me up after this to tell me that a guy I went to high school with "is kind of being a little shit" and tried to run someone else over with his car. I am not surprised that the guy is being a little shit because he was a memorable lulu in Family Living class back in the day and I'm still surprised his wife (who I also went to high school with and seemed more sensible) hasn't divorced him yet. Literally, when Mom brought them up, I was all, "are they getting a divorce?" No. But damn, running over with a car?!
Then I started watching Twelfth Night, which has a fancy rotating staircase sectioned set and Viola in a hospital bed and a fancy old car onstage.